The Bigi winery began life in a former Franciscan monastery, the ancient La Trinità in Orvieto, which had been confiscated by the Italian government in 1870. To improve production methods, in 1972 Bigi moved to the modern cellars in Ponte Giulio, a district not far from old Orvieto.
The current centre of operations vaunts a production capacity of 30,000 hectolitres, with cutting-edge winemaking equipment, and a large barrel and barrique aging cellar: modern production demands meet centuries-old tradition.
The winery’s own 136 hectares under vine are located in the “classic” area, the oldest DOC Orvieto district, with 70% given over to white berries, and located on hilly terrain of altitudes between 150 and 450 metres, basically all clay.
Inspired by the potential offered by its territory, over the years Bigi has reached truly enviable results.Thanks to its capable winemakers and the broad availability of vineyards, the company has diversified its product range, with some interesting monovarietal and blended reds based on Umbria’s Sangiovese grapes, standing alongside the greatest whites like Orvieto Classico, Grechetto and Est!Est!!Est!!!